Thursday, January 19, 2012

December 11, 2011

Let me start by saying Nick and I never ever thought we would make it to December with Miss Addelyn... We just knew she was coming early.  I say that because: A. I was gigantic.

 B. I started having contractions at 32 weeks... consistent ones at that.  C. The doctors were adamant about me being on bed rest until I reached 37 weeks because they were certain she was going to be making her appearance soon! Well, let me just tell you... Addelyn is as stubborn as her mommy and proved that we are all on her time :) So 37 weeks came and went and she was still nestled inside with no plans to make her appearance any time soon.  We ended up getting an induction date of December 14... so I got on the phone and called K-pa (my dad, Kevin) and Lulu (my mom, Jamie) so they could plan on being here! So the weekend of December 11 Nick and I decided that we needed to get on the ball and get our guest room ready since we'd have company that next week.  Saturday morning I woke up ready to dominate my large to-do list (mattress shopping, Christmas shopping, and grocery store)... just as soon as I got my breakfast. I walked into the kitchen and made toast with nutellla and bananas... carried it to the couch... quickly devoured it (I woke up starving almost everyday... hence me being gigantic :) I just needed to get dressed and then we'd be off.  I stood up and my water broke.  Now to be honest, I had a history of "my water breaking"... which up until this point obviously wasn't amniotic fluid.  So I just figured I had peed my pants again and rushed to the bathroom hoping Nick didn't see/notice my accident... ha.  But sure enough it was most definitely my water... I'll never forget what happened next.  I called out to Nick who was still in the living room... "Nick, my water broke." I mean you'd think Sonic the Hedgehog was in my house.... that boy went into super dad mode.  He was cleaning, packing, eating... all at once.. it was adorable... All while I decided to shower. ha.

We got to the hospital and I thought things were going to go pretty fast... WRONG.  My water broke at 9:20 a.m. on Saturday, December 10... one day after Addelyn's original due date. I was admitted around 10:30 and received my epidural a little after 2.  I was surprisingly comfortable up until I RECEIVED my epidural.. the nurse came in and told me that I had dilated enough to get one and I said that I was really okay (I knew I was going to get one but I thought I'd be in screaming pain before I got the epidural.. and I was far from that)... but I ended up getting it anyway.  Well, it only worked on my right side... and as soon as I realized that my left side wasn't taking to the medicine... the contractions started getting INTENSE.  Finally the anesthesiology came back in and fixed the epidural... thank goodness.  I got some really good rest after that. I labored until 1 a.m. Sunday morning and then the nurse finally came in and said that it was time to start pushing.  Well, Nick had called my dad, Leni and Alex in Texas when my water broke Saturday morning and they got in the car and left right away.... by the time I was ready to push they had just arrived.  Nick told them that I was getting ready to push and Addelyn should be here shortly.  They waited in the waiting room. The nurse was certain we'd have a baby by 2 a.m. at the latest.  Well, let me just tell you, she lied.  After 21 hours and FIVE (5) HOURS OF PUSHING... we had our gorgeous baby girl.  Five hours may seem super extreme.. and it is but Addie was sunny-side up (face up instead of face down) and she was a BIG baby. Right before I delivered the doctor came and felt around my belly and predicted her to be in the high 7's... she said I had a lot of fluid... I thought she'd be at least 8 pounds... but that little booger was a whopping 9.6 pounds!!!

Everyone was completely surprised... especially me.  So that is the long story of Miss Addelyn Kate's birth... here's a few pictures of our love...
Proud Daddy 
Kpa and Baba with Addie
Aunt Alex!!

Headed home!
LuLu!!!
Aunt Gracie (after her very first plane ride!)
Morning after her first night home... she slept all night!
love them
Owl hat and leg warmers :)
Mommy and Addie before our weekly lunch date with Dad

I hope everyone has an amazing day! I'll be back tomorrow!

1 comment: